un- + toward (to + -ward)
untoward (比較級 more untoward，最高級 most untoward)
- 近義詞： adverse、disadvantageous、inconvenient、unfavorable、unfortunate
- Template:RQ:R. F. Burton Arabian Nights
- 1900, Willa Cather, "Eric Hermannson's Soul," Cosmopolitan 28:633 (April):
- Honest men for the most part, but men with whom the world had dealt hardly; the failures of all countries, men sobered by toil and saddened by exile, who had been driven to fight for the dominion of an untoward soil, to sow where others should gather, the advance-guard of a mighty civilization to be.
1941 November，Cecil J. Allen，“British Locomotive Practice and Performance”，出自 Railway Magazine, 頁號484: At Tebay however, he began to get the mastery over these untoward conditions, and actually got back a little time up to Shap, after which all was plain sailing.
2004，Jan Riordan，章號5，出自 Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, →ISBN, 頁號149: No untoward effects were reported; however, this was not a blinded or controlled study.
2007，Steven C. Schachter et al.，章號4，出自 Behavioral Aspects of Epilepsy: Principles and Practice, →ISBN, 頁號282: However, these guidelines may not be applicable to all individuals with refractory epilepsy, in whom seizure control is not achieved without using polytherapy or resection surgery with their untoward side effects.
- 近義詞： difficult、fractious、stubborn、troublesome、uncontrollable、unruly
- 近義詞： immodest、improper、unseemly
- Template:RQ:Austen Mansfield Park
2005，John Martin， Organizational Behaviour and Management, →ISBN, 頁號518: The managing director was very depressed at the news, but realized that trying to prove anything untoward had taken place would be very difficult.
2021年4月8日，Gail Collins，引用Matt Gaetz，“Here’s … Matt Gaetz”，出自 The New York Times, ISSN 0362-4331: “I have a suspicion that someone is trying to recategorize my generosity to ex-girlfriends as something more untoward,” Gaetz said. As only he could.